You may not have given it too much attention, but the tablecloth unites every event. A banquet hall without tablecloths is one of the greatest tragedies a designer can make. Table linens do not only help set the mood and display china and glassware, but they can also cover a worn-out dining table. Mostly, individuals use placemats for everyday meals and a tablecloth for special occasions. In addition, an excellent linen tablecloth protects the table against spillage and scratches while accenting the dining table or kitchen decorations. Now that you realize how significant tablecloths are, it’s time to consider tablecloth material. Sizes, fabrics, designs, and finishes can make tablecloth purchasing overwhelming. Explore the top tablecloth options and learn how to choose them.
The Best Tablecloth Materials
The tablecloth’s most important feature is unquestionably its fabric. Before purchasing anything, be sure it’s suitable for your event’s specific requirements.
- Polyester. Polyester fibers are used to make these linen tablecloths. It has a higher sheen than a cotton tablecloth, and it feels a lot more luxurious. You can use it for a fancy outdoor picnic or a semi-formal dinner situation. Tablecloths made of synthetic fibers are highly durable and resistant to smears and creases, making them an excellent choice for catering to many guests. A polyester tablecloth is the best option if you’re concerned about spillage. For a long time, polyester tablecloths were known for being scratchy and uncomfortable. However, current polyester tablecloths have a much softer feel, and many people mistake them for cotton.
- Linen. Traditional tablecloths are made of linen; it’s a sturdy natural material. Because the cloth is hard to touch, it’s not ideal for formal gatherings. Still, it’s a terrific choice for summer picnics and outdoor celebrations. Linen has been a popular option for outdoor tablecloths due to its ability to naturally wick away moisture. Not to mention that the cloth has a vintage look and feel to it, and it’s machine washable. One of the many benefits of using linen tablecloths is that they can be washed and reused. While they wrinkle, the imperfections are often viewed as endearing rather than unkempt. You can obtain a cotton-like softness out of this tablecloth if you use it and wash it frequently enough. Unlike cotton, this fabric is resistant to bacteria and mildew, making it ideal for indoor and outdoor use.
- Silk. You can’t go wrong with a silk tablecloth. It is proven to bring elegance and sophistication to a formal gathering. These tablecloths, on the other hand, can be a bit costly. However, it seems reasonable that the price tag is so expensive, given the difficulty of making it compared to cotton or polyester. Choosing silk for a special occasion, such as a wedding, conveys that your event is a high-class ceremony or an important gathering.
- Cotton. Cotton tablecloths are perfect for everyday use, primarily if they’re being used indoors. Using cotton for an extended period outdoors isn’t recommended because of its susceptibility to degradation and mold growth in more harsh weather conditions like heat or rain. Cotton is frequently available at a reasonable cost. You can use it in the kitchen or on the dining room table to add a touch of formality and mop up any spills. If you’re looking for some of the most luxurious tablecloths on the market, go no further than these. Cotton tablecloths are notorious for wrinkling during meals and other events, making them unsuitable for use as tablecloths. Cotton’s high absorption rate is another major drawback. Stains can be easily removed from a tablecloth made of cotton if something is accidentally spilled on it. Cotton can look and feel fantastic for various events, but proper maintenance is required to keep it at its best.
- Burlap. These tablecloths are ideal for everyday usage and an outdoor wedding or another special event because they seem more rustic than other types of tablecloths. Aside from being a tablecloth, many individuals find them both attractive and comfortable to wear because of their scratchy feel. Burlap tablecloths are simple to notice when they are clean, and they are forgiving if you spill something on them.
- Lace. Tablecloths made of lace are beautiful, delicate, and instantly transform the look of your table. When placed over a plain tablecloth, lace tablecloths can be used as a beautiful centerpiece for a table. On their own, they can be an excellent alternative to a beautifully carved wooden table to allow it to show through the lace. Typically, these tablecloths must be cleaned and dried by a professional to avoid being ruined.
The Perfect Shape
The most important things to remember in looking for a perfect tablecloth are its size and form. Consider the drop—the amount of material that extends over the table’s edge—before measuring the table. However, most design experts agree that the fall should not be only about 6 inches on each side, regardless of the exact length.
A tablecloth that hangs heavy on the floor may be the look you’re striving for, so take the dimensions of your table before you shop. But if you’re trying for a traditional look and the tables will be outside, keep the tablecloths at a height that’s just slightly higher than the ground. You can rest your legs on the side of a tablecloth roughly eight inches from the edge of the table, making it more comfortable to dine. Your options are rectangle, square, and oval when it comes to forms. Tablecloth dimensions are often standardized in the industry. Choosing a tablecloth size is easy if you have a standard-sized dining table.
Tablecloth sizes that fit the most common table sizes include the following options: Tablecloths come in the most extensive sizes, with rectangular or oblong tablecloths. Many people prefer the 52 by 70-inch to 60 by 140-inch lengths. For example, both 52 by 52 inch and 70 by 70-inch square tablecloths are available. Round tablecloths come in 60, 70, and 90-inch diameters, respectively. Meanwhile, more oversized oval tablecloths can be found in sizes of 120 inches square. Different sizes may be needed for other events or the number of people attending the meal.
- Contemporary. A modern tablecloth will look right at home in a light, cheerful, and neutrally decorated home with accent pieces of color. It’s up to you whether or whether you want to go with a more neutral hue and style to allow for the addition of bright dishes and flowers or if you want a more vibrant look.
- Eclectic. Unique tablecloths make a statement, which is great if you’re trying to create a unique atmosphere in your house with lots of unique pieces of furniture and artwork. Choose one with a large and eye-catching print so that everyone who enters your home can see it. Graphics and large patterns will be more noticeable than little prints, which will blend into the background.
- Modern. If you want to achieve a modern look, in that case, you need to pay attention to the more delicate elements of your art, fabrics, and furniture. The lines, patterns, and colors in the design of a modern tablecloth are more important than a plain one, so make sure you like it. Using this method will ensure that your tablecloth is in keeping with the rest of your current decor.
- Traditional. Using traditional tablecloths in your home can look stunning, especially if they match the rest of your interior design. Floral tablecloths are the most common, but they can also come in various other patterns. Lavish lace tablecloths are a great way to add a dash of elegance to your house. Lighter hues and minor features, such as embroidery or beading, should be your goal while selecting clothing.
- Rustic. If you want your house to have the atmosphere of a rustic getaway, consider using rustic tablecloths. Rustic tablecloths are ideal for a log cabin, but you can use them to transform your house into a getaway spot. Use a worn-out burlap tablecloth or a checkered one to provide a rustic feel to your dining room. Bright checkered tablecloths, on the other hand, are a terrific way to add a dash of rustic charm to your dining room, and they’ll quickly brighten the mood of your guests.
Linen tablecloths are a fantastic choice for glass dining table cover ideas. Transform a glass-topped dining table into a work of art by dressing it with table linens. Separate dining areas can be clearly defined while maintaining a natural, earthy aesthetic with bamboo placemats, for example. Setting glasses and silverware on a table without a tablecloth creates a clattering sound. Table runners made of fabric give color and texture without completely covering the glass. Drape it with a tablecloth to showcase the illusion of a solid surface on a glass table. Tablecloth napkins and drink coasters made of fabric are both practical and beautiful.